Monday, June 6, 2011

Gram's Homemade Playdough Recipe (Long Lasting & Non-Toxic)

KIDS'
Homemade Play Dough Recipe
(AKA Gram's Cream of Tarter Play Dough Recipe)
Long Lasting & Non Toxic
 I've been making & playing with this play dough for as long as I can remember...literally! My Gram would make it with me often & I vividly remember making little boxy cars, balls, blocks, play dough people & caterpillars at her kitchen table with her. 
It's fun to make it today with my children. They LOVE playing with play dough! We get ours out at least twice a week, no joke!
I've shared this recipe over & over  & over again with friends, so it dawned on me yesterday when I was whipping up a big batch for the Wee Worship kids at church, that I should share this on my blog!
So here it is!
I hope you get the chance to make it with your kids...or grandkids!!

Ingredients
1 Cup Flour
1/2 Cup Salt
2 tsp Creme of Tarter
-------------
1 Cup Water
1 Tbsp Cooking Oil
Food Coloring of your choice

Mix dry ingredients in a medium saucepan.
Add oil, water & food coloring (I mix it all together in a small Pyrex pitcher.)
Pour & stir well into the dry ingredients.
Continue stirring slowly over medium heat until dough pulls away from sides of pan & is a dough-like consistency (about 3-5 minutes).
Take the dough out of the pan & knead right away until it becomes a smooth ball.
Cool & store in a zip lock bag or an air tight container.
----------------------------

Here are a few pics of what some of
our Wee Worship Kids made yesterday!

Taylor's Snail & Emma's Dog/Dog House

JJ's Snake & Stephen's Lion

Caleb's Bird Nest & Carson's Worm


...followed by...
COOKIES!!!!!
Real ones, of course!



Linking up with these parties today!
The Girl CreativeSumo Sweet StuffKeeping It Simplecraft

Photobucket













 


4 comments:

  1. I am going to have to make some....my store bought play dough is all dried out! I found your blog through a linky party and LOVE it! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would check out my blog and follow me too! Thanks!

    Come and link up your latest and greatest at our What I Made Wednesday Linky Party!

    ~Alisa
    sweetpeasandbb.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to witness your life through facebook and your blog. I will always cherish the time we spent together when we were younger...and now I get to see you "virtually" as often as you post. So don't stop!!! I will ALWAYS love to catch up with you and your life. I don't have children, but I can appreciate this post as a thrifty gal myself. :) Love you lots sweetie-pie!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, SO glad I found your playdough recipe. It looks awesome! & 1st (#1) in a Google search BTW. (warm smile) I ^would like to ask: What type of food coloring works best for you? I have the paste & the small gel tubes. Thanks in advance.
    I really look forward to browsing other posts here on your blog.

    My best,
    D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,
    Thanks for the recipe - I was looking for a long lasting one... will have to see how it goes at school...

    Many thanks

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Leave me some love!
It's nice to know what my readers are thinking so thanks for taking the time to comment. AND of course, thanks SO much for checking out Freckles and Fun!
(and I'm sorry about the word verification but I have had spam overload lately.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...